Break up texts – Breaking via text is not the best idea—neither for you nor your partner. Sometimes, though, it is unavoidable.
For instance,in long-distance relationships or in an “almost a relationship but not quite yet” scenario, a breakup text is the most logical way to break up.
For a universally despised act, breaking up via text is pretty commonly done.
A study done on 500 millennials found out that 57% had broken up with their partner over text before. More than half is a pretty significant percentage if you ask me.
Why is it wrong to break up via text?
Breaking up via text is painful, especially for the partner on the receiving end. To them, it translates into negligence, even cowardice from their partner.
Breaking over text makes you look like you didn’t have the courage or the decency to do it the right old fashioned way, in person.
The breakup texts will cause tremendous pain to the parties involved; so, it is socially unacceptable even rude to break up through text messages or email.
Why do people break up via text?
People break up through text for various reasons best known to them. Unless you could have 100% access to the brain of such a person as one who breaks up via text, you can never truly know why.
However, here is a list of the most common reasons people break up via text.
Most common reasons why people break up via text
1. To avoid confrontation
When you tell your partner that you want to break up, it obviously won’t end well, but you also risk a confrontation.
You may be concerned about hurting the person’s feelings, and sometimes also a violent reaction.
Therefore, some people choose to avoid these situations to avoid the messy situation altogether by breaking up via text. After all, you can’t punch someone through the phone.
2. Difficulty in physical self-expression and communication
Whether it is social anxiety or low self-esteem or whatever it may be, people are getting worse at physical communication and would rather hide behind a screen.
Many people, sadly, cannot articulate difficult or heartbreaking information. Text messages are ideal for people who feel that they don’t have the eloquence to convey such a complex message as a breakup message in person.
3. Some people prefer not to explain
Honestly, sometimes when people break up, they don’t have a valid reason for doing so. I know it doesn’t sound right, but that’s the bitter truth.
Therefore, an impersonal breakup text’s comfort is their only “get out of the relationship quickly” card, and they take it.
Because they cannot fully explain why they want the relationship to end, breakup texts become the perfect way to break up.
4. To intentionally hurt the other partner with a rude breakup
It is considered rude to break up via text. Sometimes that’s the motive of the person who breaks up like that.
Maybe their partner hurt them badly by cheating, so they are revenging or just being petty, but it happens.
When is it OK to break up via text?
Consensus suggests that never should a person ever break up with a significant other through a text message or email.-
Sometimes, though, even this normally appalling behavior could be considered acceptable.
Situations when breaking over text is acceptable and OK.
1. When you just met the person and you barely know each other
Sometimes you meet people, and you’re not that invested into them even though they might be. In this case, it is logical to send a breakup text earlier on to signal that even though you had a good time, you didn’t feel any chemistry.
2. When you both don’t want the relationship.
It is difficult to gauge whether both you and your partner aren’t that invested in the relationship.
But if it is apparent that the both of you don’t want the relationship, then, by all means, send that breakup text.
In this scenario, a breakup text will give both of you some relief.
3. When the relationship is abusive.
Breaking up in person with an abusive partner is suicidal. The odds are that they may become violent.
It is safe and wiser to execute such a breakup from a distance. I know it is not ideal, but it’s not worth risking your safety.
I understand why, even in any of the above situations, you may feel pangs of guilt if you choose to break up via text. But don’t sweat it, you could break up via a phone call. It is a bit more personal, and you still avoid meeting the person IRL— the best of both worlds.
Breaking up over text VS breaking up person (Pros and Cons)
How to break up via text
Even the chattiest people of us could sometimes fail to articulate a breakup message, and that’s OK. It isn’t the easiest of tasks to accomplish anyway!
Dos and Don’ts of breaking up over text
Numerous unwritten and seldom spoken rules govern what is considered a successful and acceptable breakup text or what isn’t.
Below is a list of Dos and Don’ts to follow to keep in society’s good graces if you must break up over text.
1. Be brief and straight to the point.
2. Give a genuine reason why you are breaking up.
3. Be kind and empathetic.
4. Write it yourself; it is the least you can do.
1. Do not beat about the bush.
2. Do not be rude and offensive
3. Do expect your partner to reply, don’t ever nag them about it.
What to say in a breakup message
Breaking through text messages is not ideal, and anyone would be at a loss of words if they tried to attempt such a thing.
Follow the guide to discover what to say in a breakup text. I know it can be tedious to even figure out where to start writing the message later on.
1. Be Clear and Concise
It’s a no brainer that we need to talk heralds ‘ troubles. Once you have told your partner that you want to have a word with them, they most probably have a clue that what you are about to say to them isn’t pleasant.
Please do not bother to start with the ten reasons why the relationship isn’t working but rather begin with mentioning that you have decided to break up.
That way, you avoid giving your partner false hope that you are willing to fix the issues you are listing before telling them it is over, which will hurt more.
Examples of clear and concise Break up texts
1. “I think we should break up.”lonelytear.com
2. “I feel like it would be for the best if we ended our relationship.”lonelytear.com
3. “I have not been happy in this relationship for some time now and think it would be best if we broke up.”lonelytear.com
4. “After some consideration, I think we should end our relationship.”lonelytear.com
5. “I do not wish to continue this relationship any longer.”lonelytear.com
2. Be Open and Truthful
Just as you wouldn’t want your partner to lie to you, don’t lie to them. So, please be open and truthful about why you are breaking up with them. Do not sugar coat the truth; it will hurt more.
If it’s stifled communication, tell the person or if you simply grew apart, tell him/her. The golden rule is to say it as it is.
However, honesty is not an excuse for cruel and rude. Remember that being honest is not an excuse to be offensive.
Suppose your partner is no longer attractive to you. In that case, you needn’t say, “I think you’re ugly.” but rather, you can say something that preserves your partner’s dignity.
Consider the following text messages to be open and truthful but not offensive:
1. “I don’t feel the same way about you as I used to.”lonelytear.com
2. “This relationship isn’t satisfying my needs anymore.”lonelytear.com
3. “I am not comfortable staying together knowing that we are on two very divergent paths.”lonelytear.com
4 “I don’t feel right pursuing a relationship that I can’t see making it long term.”lonelytear.com
5. “I have been thinking about our future, I don’t think we are compatible in the long run.”lonelytear.com
3. Use Self-Reflecting Communication
Avoid using ‘you’ as much as you can; use ‘I’ “you” statements can come across as being accusatory. Instead of saying, “You don’t make me happy anymore.” try, “I don’t feel happy anymore.” instead.
Try the following examples of texts to use self-reflecting rather than accusatory language.
1. “I am having a difficult time communicating my needs to you, and think it would be best to work on myself.” instead of “You just don’t listen to me.”lonelytear.com
2. “I don’t think our relationship is healthy for me to continue being a part of and think we should break up.” rather than “You are a toxic person to me.”lonelytear.com
3. “I am feeling hurt by all the negative occurrences throughout our relationship.” as opposed to, “You have really caused me so much pain and anguish.”lonelytear.com
In the end, it doesn’t even matter, you say, but how you say it. Whatever message you want to convey, please do in the kindest way possible.
Classic but practical Breakup text messages examples
All breakups hurt regardless of how it is done. When breaking up, the partner dumping usually has a strategy and almost overall classic breakup example that they are going for. Here is a list of the most common typical breakup texts.
1. The “You are a great partner just not for me.”
“You have been a great boyfriend, but I need to end things. It’s better for us both if we break up.”
2. The “You are too good for me.”
“I can’t be the boyfriend you deserve – we need to break up.”lonelytear.com
3. The “We just don’t work together.”
“We’re better apart – let’s end this relationship.”lonelytear.com
4. The “Let us just be friends/remain friends.”
“I think you know that things have been hard. Let’s break up so we can remain friends.”lonelytear.com
5. The “We have no common ground.”
“I’m tired of fighting with you. We’re better apart. Let’s end this.”lonelytear.com
6. The “What took us so long to get this done?”
“Let’s break up – it’s better for both of us.”lonelytear.com
7. The ‘We have seen coming.”
“It’s time to break up. Let’s do this amicably.”lonelytear.com
Break up texts for your boyfriend
Are you looking for inspiration for texts to break up with your boyfriend? I may not know your reasons for breaking with your boyfriend, but I know one of these is just for you.your
The type of message you send depends on the relationship you have with this man and the time you have dated.
When you have just gone for one or two dates
When the relationship has just begun, the emotional bond between you and your boyfriend may not be that strong.
I call that the state, ‘the almost there phase.’ Here are some examples of breakup texts for this scenario.
1. “It has been a pleasure knowing you. You are such a fun guy to be around. But if I am being honest, I didn’t feel any chemistry between us. I do hope that we can still be friends, though.”lonelytear.com
2. “These past few dates have been enjoyable, but I also feel like that is all it can ever be. Can we just be friends?lonelytear.com
3. “It was nice knowing you, but I feel like we are on two different wavelengths and paths. I really don’t think we would work as a couple. I am sorry, but please stop calling me your girlfriend.”lonelytear.com
When you have been dating for a while.
1. “Lately, I have been feeling left out of your life. I know that you care for me, but I know that we are too preoccupied with other stuff to be with each other. It has been an incredible two years, but I would like to end it here.”lonelytear.com
2. “I feel that I can’t communicate effectively with you. I know it is my fault, but I can’t hold on any longer. I am sorry, but I won’t be home when you return.”lonelytear.com
When your boyfriend has been kind of a jerk to you.
1. “I know that I can’t blame you for my unhappiness, but I can’t seem to move past the thought of you and my best friend in bed. It really isn’t the same anymore for me. I think it is best if we go our separate ways.”lonelytear.com
2. “I can go on with this relationship anymore because I feel like doing bad things to you… I want to kill you.”lonelytear.com
Nice breakup texts
No breakup text is never going to hurt, however empathetic and kind you are in the message. A friendly message, though, won’t hurt as much as a rude one.
So if you must break up via text, it had better be in a friendly way. Consider the example below.
“Hey Martin, thanks for lunch yesterday. I can’t be with you anymore because I feel like you are still attached to your ex, and I understand, I have been there. I know it’s not my jurisdiction to tell you, but you may need to first work your emotions through before you can let someone else in. Good luck.
Sad breakup texts
Unfortunately, all good things come to an end, and love is no exception to the rule.
When things have ended or are bound to end, there is much you do than just sit and wait for it to happen.
A list of sad breakup texts.
- It is time to say goodbye.
- I have always loved you, and now my heart no longer wants to anymore.
- Time has changed, and so have you, so have I; we can’t be together anymore.
- I hope you accept that we are over soon and without much sadness.
- I never thought that my feelings for you would ever change, but I was wrong.
- It’s not your fault nor mine. Let’s put the past behind and move on.
- I never thought of moving on without you, but now I have to.
- I will always miss the good times we spent together.
- I just want to let you know that I have decided to move on without you. I hope you understand.
Funny breakup texts
Breakups are not much fun, but sometimes people do send out funny breakup messages.
1. The accidental breakup.
“ Hey Lisa, I have been thinking about this for long and I have decided that we have to end this because I love my Wife.” She replies, “Jim!! This is your wife and you are so single.”
2. The silly breakup
“Hey Warren, I think we have to break up because your D**k is too big for me. I just can’t take it”
Savage break up texts
Breakups are a depressing thing to execute. Some people are so savage that it even shows in a breakup text.
A list of savage break up text examples
1. “Roses are red, violets are blue and single are you.”
2. “Wanna see a magic trick?” Your partner’s response. Then you say,”Poof you’re single.
3. “I would like to know how it feels to have no girlfriend, so, it’s over.”
Breaking up via text is not an easy thing to do, and more often than note, you risk coming off as a jerk.
If, however, you still want to go ahead with breaking up over text, the above tips are all needed for the job.
If you need to bring back lost lover, dont forget to check my Bring back lost lover spell
Mama Nkima is college graduate who ended up a spiritual guide. Graduated to become a teacher but calling never gave up no matter how I tried to run.
I teach and guide about relationships, but i also learn about a lot of relationship issues from my clients. I love to share that knowledge with others.
I share mostly knowledge about marital infidelity, Husband Mistress affairs, Cheating Husbands affairs and more.